Saturday, April 11, 2009




Got to do the legendary Sagebrush Safari course on Sunday. I wanted to ride conservatively, only because i had 2 crashes in the past 2 races, and it payed off. Sort of.


My goal was to finish in the top 10 of the pack and i was right there, all the way up till the last mile when we hit the pavement. As soon as i hit the pavement i manned up to the big ring and dropped the hammer, then it happened, my right leg locked up on me, and i was paralyzed with severe leg cramps. WTF? I was beyond pissed, then it got worse when i saw 4 riders from my group pass me as i was on the side of the road unable to move. I'm not sure i know a worse feeling, this sucks.


All 'n all, i finished 12th out of 17 and i finished within 1 min. of the 3 that had passed me.


I learned about "sandbagging" this weekend. A friend had told me that since he races in the expert category that this is the hardest because all the semi pros didn't move up and dropped down. Later i found out that this has a trickle down affect. A couple of guys in my group (sport or Cat 2 30-34) were going to move up to expert because they had a good season finishing far ahead of the sport class with podium finishes every race last year. Well, since they got rid of semi pro, they said that they didn't want to move up to expert because they would have to compete with them.


I'm gonna still stick with my category and hammer it out until i start getting some podiums. racing with these guys has only made me realize more what i need to do to get faster and have the endurance. I will constantly choose to challenge myself. Does it suck not getting on the podium anymore like i did in the beginer class? Hell yes it does, but i still have fun, and i have some great sponsers that support me no matter what place i come in, and this only makes me want to train harder and race smarter.


On another note, i finally got to meet up with Brian DeGroodt, a fellow GT DC member. Brian was cool enough to take us on a great ride through the Aliso Woods trail system, and the climbing was great. Brian welcomed myself and my regular wed. group with open arms and proudly displayed his ability to hammer the single tracks and mash the climbs with same eagerness as a kid that got his first bike on christmas morning. Cheers to you Brian, you went above and beyond and your character is supreme. I can't wait to treat Brian to some of the dirt up here in the Palos Verdes area, or at least what's left the trails that we fight so hard for.


Well, it's time for bed now that i'm finished with my beer. Long day in the E.R. helping people see another day and spend more time with their families.


I believe that i'm gonna be racing in Santa Ynez on the 26th of April, race 4 of the us cup west coast series. i'm trying to finish in the top 10 of my group, right now i think i'm sitting 8th out of 27. after that, i'm headed to vail lake, temecula, ca for the racers and chasers. I'm gonna try my hand at a "dirt crit". can't wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment